Five things you can do today for free to start making money in real estate!
I am inherently good at a few things; business, talking, and making millionaires out of pretty much anyone. It has been this way my whole life….. Well, not the millionaire thing, that’s new. But I have always really enjoyed running my mouth and creating cash flow from zero.
I tend to take it personally when a person that I am coaching is not doing well for him or herself. So, when a friend of mine was talking to me about needing to make some changes I immediately went right into “let’s look at what you are doing now and see how we can ramp it up.”
Guess what he's doing? Nothing!! He was too afraid of doing the wrong thing to do anything. Inaction is worse than taking action and getting it wrong. Only when you try do you have a shot. Inaction is the exact formula for stagnancy. What comes from stagnant waters? Ebola? West Nile? Idk. What I do know is anytime I leave water sitting in my yard it becomes a “pay by the hour”, sleazy, motel for mosquitoes. Next thing you know they have opened an adult book store and there are mosquito prostitutes hanging out. All the butterflies move out and the place becomes overrun in a spider mosquito turf war. Nothing good comes from stagnancy!!!
So, I dug a little deeper and realized that there were two reasons that he was not making moves. One was that he did not have the funds to do the things he thought were necessary. The other was that he was overwhelmed by lack of direction.
When I was a kid my parents did not like the idea of spoiling us. At the time that SUCKED!!!! Now I am extremely grateful for making me harness my creativity and ingenuity to get the things I wanted.
When I was about 7 or 8 I decided that I wanted a tea set. You know? The little tiny ones with the cute delicate cups and saucers.
“Mom, I need a tea set.”
Her reply was the same as it always was. “Where is your money?” Well crap!! I didn’t have any of that.
“Daddy” *batting my eyes* “ I really, really want a tea set. Can I please have one???”
“Go ask your mom.” There goes that, she already shot me down.
About five hours later…. I attempt to come in covered from head to toe in red mud. It’s in my hair, under my nails, my clothes are ruined. My mother immediately goes right into how I am not coming in the house and I need to go hose off outside and wait for her by the back door.
I had spent the day, digging up my parents’ yard, and crafting a tiny tea set. (I am using this term loosely, I’m not sure that it would be recognizable to the eye untrained in deciphering child art.) I let it dry overnight and played with it for the 15 minutes that playing house alone interested me the next day.
The point is 1. I am unsure how my parents did not sell me to the circus and 2. I took the free rout to get to the ends that I desired.
So back to my friend. I laid out a few things that can be done TODAY for FREE to begin generating REI leads.
1. Create a social media ad that positions you as a buyer and describes the property you seek. You can make some really cool, professional looking stuff for free on Canva. In fact I did the one below just last week on Canva and spent ZERO doll-hairs.
2. Join social media groups about real estate investing. These are a great resource for investors who wish to buy, sell, wholesale, or hold. Other like-minded individuals are there with the same intentions as you, make a deal happen. Use your marketing to let them know this is your goal. Below is a small snip-it of my groups from Facebook. You may want to just look at local groups unless you are planning to practice REI on a national level.
3. Join social media groups for community sales. These can be called “Yard Sale” groups, or “Trash and Treasure” groups, things like that. Many homeowners and independent landlords will either list their property on there or be a member and see you. Do two things. First, post your desire to purchase again using the marketing you created. Second, look through the site for rentals and FSBOs. Contact the person who posted.
4. Call people selling or renting out their homes on Craigslist, Trulia, Zillow, and any other site you can think of. Let them know that you want to make an offer on their property.
5. Go to business and real estate networking groups. Seriously, I cannot stress enough the importance of networking in this field. Go, mingle, make connections.
Now you have no excuses. Inaction will never get you ahead!!!
Happy investing my real estate junkies!!!!
I was born an entrepreneur. I am pretty certain that I was peddling passies in the hospital when the nurses left the room.All of the other kids in the neighborhood were riding bikes and playing with dolls I was selling jewelry out of a catalogue and creating a back yard consignment shop. At 21 I became a real estate investor and fell in love. This was/is/ and always will be my passion. I have been madly in love with flipping, holding, and writing offers on real estate that seem crazy for 18 years. Ladies and gents I am willing to share the love of my life with you. Maybe its polyamory maybe its jut because I can’t shut up about it. Either way I will be sharing every mistake I ever made and the lesson that came from it. I love questions. Please ask away!!!